TRINITY CHURCH ON THE GREEN
Position Description, 2019
The Sexton provides an essential service to the Church by ensuring a clean, comfortable, safe environment that promotes the mission of the Church. Responsible for cleaning, light maintenance duties, minor repairs to the Church buildings and grounds, arranging furniture for meetings, the Sexton reports to and is supervised by the Head Sexton.
The part-time Sexton works fifteen to twenty hours per week, Tuesday to Sunday, with Sunday a required day. Additional hours may be required for special events. The Sexton will be notified of these in advance and compensated at the regular rate.
The Sexton regularly assists in creating a welcoming and safe environment for our members, choristers, and visitors with special attention to the safety of children and elderly. The Sexton provides security during arrival and leaving of parishioners and choristers.
Cleaning duties include sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, dusting and wiping surfaces; cleaning windows; taking out trash and recycling; thorough cleaning of bathrooms; shampooing of carpets as needed.
Maintenance includes changing batteries and light bulbs (within reach of a ladder); updating clocks; changing filters; paintings; light repairs; monitoring and replenishing supplies, and other duties as needed.
The Sexton will regularly arrange chairs and tables as needed for recurring events, such as coffee hours or choir dinners, and for special gatherings, such as receptions or exhibits.
Repairs to building or equipment will be determined and assigned by the Head Sexton.
Safe Church Certification is required.
• Knowledge of and skill in cleaning procedures and processes, products and equipment.
• Knowledge, or the ability to acquire knowledge, of basic building maintenance.
• Ability to perform basic repairs and safely use the tools required for the task.
• A demonstrated awareness of surroundings and the ability to respond promptly and appropriately to problems related to the building and property.
• Ability to work independently and be proactive with moderate supervision.
• Physically fit and able to lift and carry items up to 50 lbs., work from a tall ladder, kneel, squat ,and stand to perform duties.
• Willingness to join a team and cooperate with other staff members and volunteers.
Send resume to: Trinity Episcopal Church, 950 Chapel St., New Haven, CT 06510 email@example.com