At Trinity, one of the optional 20 minute sessions at Parish Sunday on October 16, 2016 will be a tour of a small exhibit called “The Gothic Church,” One Small Print with Large Impact. The numerous 19thc editions for this print formed a steady backdrop to Trinity’s expanding influence in the New Haven community, the new nation and even Great Britain. The tour discussion will be lead by Peg Chambers, the exhibit’s organizer and Chair of Trinity’s History Ministry.
The 200th anniversary of the consecration of our Gothic church building is coming to a close. This exhibit, which will be installed in the Undercroft for a month beginning on October 16, will leave us with a better sense of the importance of our parish’s role in the adoption of the concept of the separation of church and state and the significance of our architect, Ithiel Town, while also showing the importance of the use of artistic composition in printmaking to the dissemination of au courant ideas and ideals through the 19thc.
Image: W.H. Bartlett, The Gothic Church (New Haven), engraved by T. Turnbull originally published by George Virtue, London, 1839