TRINITY CHURCH ON THE GREEN
Position Description, 2019
The Sexton provides an essential service to the Church by ensuring a clean, comfortable, safe environment that promotes the mission of the Church. Responsible for cleaning, light maintenance duties, minor repairs to the Church buildings and grounds, arranging furniture for meetings, the Sexton reports to and is supervised by the Head Sexton.
The part-time Sexton works fifteen to twenty hours per week, Tuesday to Sunday, with Sunday a required day. Additional hours may be required for special events. The Sexton will be notified of these in advance and compensated at the regular rate.
The Sexton regularly assists in creating a welcoming and safe environment for our members, choristers, and visitors with special attention to the safety of children and elderly. The Sexton provides security during arrival and leaving of parishioners and choristers.
Cleaning duties include sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, dusting and wiping surfaces; cleaning windows; taking out trash and recycling; thorough cleaning of bathrooms; shampooing of carpets as needed.
Maintenance includes changing batteries and light bulbs (within reach of a ladder); updating clocks; changing filters; paintings; light repairs; monitoring and replenishing supplies, and other duties as needed.
The Sexton will regularly arrange chairs and tables as needed for recurring events, such as coffee hours or choir dinners, and for special gatherings, such as receptions or exhibits.
Repairs to building or equipment will be determined and assigned by the Head Sexton.
Safe Church Certification is required.
• Knowledge of and skill in cleaning procedures and processes, products and equipment.
• Knowledge, or the ability to acquire knowledge, of basic building maintenance.
• Ability to perform basic repairs and safely use the tools required for the task.
• A demonstrated awareness of surroundings and the ability to respond promptly and appropriately to problems related to the building and property.
• Ability to work independently and be proactive with moderate supervision.
• Physically fit and able to lift and carry items up to 50 lbs., work from a tall ladder, kneel, squat ,and stand to perform duties.
• Willingness to join a team and cooperate with other staff members and volunteers.
Church Nursery Child Care Provider
To provide dependable, safe, and nurturing care to children, ages 0-3 years, while their parents attend services at Trinity Church on the Green.
- Provide age-appropriate care which may include: feeding, changing diapers, escorting to the bathroom, maintaining a safe environment, putting children down for naps, holding, or sitting with and cheerfully interacting with children through games, stories, play, and prayer.
- Maintain good handwashing/hand hygiene after diaper changes and after assisting children with coughs, sneezes, or runny noses.
- Be polite, friendly, and courteous to all children, parents, and volunteers.
- Greet each child and call him/her by name when dropped off by parent(s)/guardians
- Complete nursery registration records and communicate special needs to other Nursery workers and volunteers
- Stay until the children are secured with a responsible adult named on the child’s registration form.
- Clean and disinfect toys each Sunday (only toys played with on that Sunday) after children have left.
- In event of an emergency notify the parent/guardian via cell phone.
- Child care hours needed are Sunday mornings for 8:30 AM -12:30 PM (Fall, Winter, Spring hours) and 9:45 AM – 11:30 PM (Summer hours: Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day).
Additional hours during Holy Week, Christmas, and other church events.
- Experience in caring for children between the ages of 0-3 years with the ability to adapt and interact with each child and their varying needs.
- Red Cross Child Care or Babysitter Certification preferred
- CPR training for infants and children preferred
- Must obtain and maintain Safe Church Certification with Episcopal Church of Connecticut
- Must submit to a background check
Pay Rate: $13/hour (paid for a minimum 3 hour shift each Sunday)
Send resume to: Trinity Episcopal Church, 950 Chapel St., New Haven, CT 06510 firstname.lastname@example.org