Our Plaque is Back
George Washington visited Trinity one week after his first inaugural on April 30, 1789, and worshiped at the First Church, at what is now our side or “Washington altar”. In 1932, the Daughters of the American Revolution Commemorated this event with a brass plaque. The plaque was stolen in 2011, but it was found! On July 4, 2015 there was a re-dedication ceremony to put the plaque back where it belongs — at the location of the First Trinity Church at 91 Church Street.
Here is the New Haven Register article “Plaque citing George Washington’s visit rededicated at original Trinity Episcopal site in New Haven” on the dedication ceremony, including pictures of Bruce Belmore as George Washington.
Here are two newspaper articles on the amazing story of it recovery. George Washington was Rescued here from the New Haven Independent, and Historic evidence that George Washington visited New Haven rescued, with help from modern technology from the New Haven Register. Below is the announcement of the Re-dedication event.